- In large stock pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over direct medium heat (or 400 degrees F). Add beef and cook to sear on both sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In same pot, sauté onions and garlic until onions are tanslucent.
- Stir in flour and mix to coat onions.
- Add beer slowly to deglaze the pot, blending with onions; simmer 5 minutes to thicken.
- Whisk in broth slowly incorporate into soup
- Add carrots, potatoes, kale, bay leaf and beef to pot; season with salt and pepper. Bring soup to a boil, stirring occasionally to prevent from sticking.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cover with lid. Cook 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and carrots are easy to pierce with a fork.
- Season soup with salt and pepper to taste; serve hot with a crusty baguette.