- Heat the smoker or Big Green Egg (indirect) to 275 degrees. We recommend using apple, pecan or hickory wood for this cook.
- Apply the Meat Church Honey Hog rub liberally on all sides of the meat. Pull all of the slices of the loin apart to apply this fine grain seasoning in every crevice possible. Allow the rub to soak into the meat for 30 minutes.
- Wrap each tip of the crown roast in a small piece of aluminum foil. This will protect the bones during the cook process and prevent them from turning black.
- Place the crown roast in a roasting pan or disposable aluminum pan and put it on the smoker. Spritz the crown roast with apple juice every 30-45 minutes.
- Remove the roast from the pan and take off the aluminum foil from the bones when it reaches an internal temperature of 125 degrees. This will be approximately 90 minutes into the cook. Spritz and return to cooking.
- If you chose to glaze, apply it the last 10 minutes of the cook so the glaze can “lock in.”
- Cook until the internal temperature reaches 140 degrees, about 2 to 2.5 hours total. For medium rare, cook to 130-1350 degrees or 135-145 degrees for medium.
- Tent it with aluminum foil and allow it to rest for 15 – 20 minutes. Carefully remove the butcher’s twine and slice into the juicy and succulent chops!